ohio cousins

Ohio

18 June 2013

It’s not vacation when we come to Ohio – it’s normal life transplanted – but it feels different here. California is dry with reliably sunny blue skies; Ohio is intensely green and the weather wildly variable. In crowded Silicon Valley we would have signed up kids for summer activities in January; in low-key Columbus we can make plans on the fly, or not at all.

After three years living here full time, the kids settle right back in for summer. The girls went cruising on the Ezy Rollers.

ez roller girls

And after a long travel day, the boys were content to chill in front of the TV.

couch boys

I love the trees here. Full and green in the summer and flaming colors in the fall.

green ohio

Even a sunny day in Ohio can turn quickly dark with clouds – the picture below was taken just a few hours after the one above. I learned the hard way never to leave car or house windows open, even on the clearest of days.

A Californian would look at this picture and think you’d need a sweater. An Ohioan would know it could be 90 degrees out.

overcast ohio

We arrived in time for my in-laws’ golden wedding anniversary. My father-in-law is in the late stages of Alzheimer’s disease, so it was a bittersweet celebration. He and my mother-in-law met in eighth grade, got married after college, raised four fantastic children and have 13 grandchildren.

Even in his agonizingly reduced state, in his small moments my father-in-law is as cheerful, humorous and ornery as ever. And true to her vows 50 years ago, my mother-in-law is as devoted to him in sickness as she always was in health.

Cheers, Dave and Patti, to a spectacularly successful life and marriage together.

golden wedding anniversary

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Lisa Yuen 18 June 2013 at 9:56 am

Ahhhh . . . indeed, Dave and Patti are in inspiration to all families! Happy anniversary!

BK 18 June 2013 at 10:34 am

Very nice post, thanks CG! The astute observer will notice that the cake topper in the wedding photo is placed just above the album in the photo above — just 50 years older! 🙂

Patti 18 June 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks Lilian for the kind words about our anniversary! Fifty years is a long time but I look back now and realize how fast the time has gone.
We are so grateful for our family. You all have brought us so many treasured moments. We never could have dreamed that life would be so joyful with 4 children, 4 wonderful spouses, and 13 grandchildren.
It truly has been a “golden anniversary” because of all of YOU.

Simeng 18 June 2013 at 1:12 pm

Happy anniversary to your in-laws! It is stories like theirs that proves love and devotion truly exist! And Ohio looks beautiful and peaceful!

Lily 18 June 2013 at 3:39 pm

Happy Anniversary, Patti and Dave!! What a wonderful milestone to celebrate. And thanks for sharing, CG. We definitely don’t talk as much as we should (my fault, I know), so I love that I get to hear about the family a bit through your blog.

Dawn 18 June 2013 at 7:10 pm

Congratulations, Dave and Patti! What a special celebration for a very special couple! Patti, I agree with you…. what a wonderful family you both have!

jamie @ green beans & grapefruit 19 June 2013 at 7:50 am

What a sweet post! Sounds like Ohio is a great second home. Are you there the whole summer?

cg 24 June 2013 at 9:27 am

yes, pretty much until mid-august!

Slammie 20 June 2013 at 6:26 pm

Happy anniversary to them! What a milestone….

cg 24 June 2013 at 9:56 am

thanks, slammie!

Kate @ Savour Fare 20 June 2013 at 10:22 pm

How nice to be able to spend the summer with a more relaxed pace. Though I do not envy you the humidity! (How to have green trees without humidity is one of my great questions)

cg 24 June 2013 at 9:56 am

hi kate – yes unlike CA, air conditioning is a must here! great hearing from you. =)

Anne 22 December 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi CG –
Sitting with my parents in Colorado and we all agree your sentiments about Ohio were perfect, and took them way back. Esp to the trees, and skies and the humidity. Made us all miss it in the dead of winter and snow here! The very best to your father and mother law on their 50th and to your family in 2014. Loved this post and picture. Anne, Hal, Sharon

cg 7 January 2014 at 2:48 pm

hi anne – you are sweet to share! hope you and your parents had a wonderful holiday season in colorado.