Minimalist guacamole, with minimal effort. Avocado and salt, a little citrus – even the garlic is optional.
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (less than 1/2 lime; lemon also works)
- 1 ripe avocado (firm to hold but gives when pressed)
- Black pepper
- Minced jalapeno pepper, to taste (optional)
- Chop garlic and place in a bowl. Pour salt over and use a spoon to smash/smear it into a rough paste. Add lime (or lemon) juice.
- Cut avocado into quarters and remove pit. Peel off skin and add avocado to bowl. Mash with a fork. Season to taste with black pepper, minced jalapeno pepper and/or additional salt.
- Substitute a dab of garlic paste, if you stock it, or even a little garlic powder. Or a bit of chopped onion if you prefer.
- You can easily make a larger batch of guacamole, but the surface will turn brown as it is exposed to air. Store any leftovers covered with plastic wrap pressed tightly to the surface of the guacamole.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.