Chocolate caramel matzoh
An inspired use of matzoh or soda crackers. Blending candy and cookie, salty and sweet, this dangerously easy confection by baking expert Marcy Goldman and adapted by David Lebovitz is a certain crowd-pleaser.
- 4-6 unsalted matzoh boards (or soda crackers, eg Saltines, or graham crackers)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or coarsely chopped chocolate) – milk, semi-sweet or bittersweet
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line rimmed cookie sheets completely with foil or parchment paper, covering sides and bottom of the pan. Line bottom of pan evenly with matzoh boards, cutting extra pieces of matzoh, as required, to fit any spaces on the cookie sheet as evenly as possible.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a 3 quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking 3 more minutes, stirring to bring sugar and butter together. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add a pinch of salt if your butter or margarine is unsalted (or leave out salt if using salted crackers). Stir well and pour over matzoh.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure mixture is not burning. If it seems to be browning too quickly, remove from oven, lower heat to 325 F and continue baking.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle matzoh boards immediately with chopped chocolate or chips. Let stand 5 minutes (or put back in oven for 1 minute) to melt, then spread melted chocolate. Top with chopped nuts or a sprinkle of sea salt if desired. Chill in refrigerator or freezer until set, about 30 minutes. Cut or break into squares or odd shapes. Makes a great gift (stores well for several days) if you can keep from eating it all.
- For Passover you may use Passover margarine and/or omit the vanilla.
- Be as creative as you like with toppings – crushed pretzel, flaked coconut, dried fruit.
- Marcy Goldman variations: white chocolate (melted and swirled with dark), raspberry (a few tablespoons of jam swirled with melted white or dark chocolate), or simple caramel (skip the chocolate).
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.