Kale salad with cranberries and toasted walnuts
A hearty, sturdy salad that will last all day and satisfy with every meal.
- 1 bunch kale, preferably Tuscan (aka lacinato, dinosaur, black, cavalo nero)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice from one lemon (about 2 tablespoons) or one tart orange (about 4 tablespoons) or a combination of the two
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- To toast walnuts, bake at 325 degrees or warm on medium heat in dry skillet until they become crisp and fragrant (about 10 minutes in oven or 5 minutes on stovetop).
- Wash and dry kale. Use sharp knife to cut the stem away from each leaf. Slice leaves thinly crosswise and pile in large salad bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale and toss. Drizzle in citrus juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss and taste for seasoning.
- Add cranberries and toasted walnuts and serve. Or if not eating full salad right away, toss kale with cranberries and sprinkle walnuts on individual servings.
- For extra flavor, zest the citrus before juicing and add to salad.
- Salad keeps well for a day or two in the refrigerator.
- Add slivers of sharp cheese for variation, eg Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, aged cheddar.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.