Bananas add body and sweetness to this egg-free nog. Banana milk is a year-round favorite with my kids, but during the holidays we add nutmeg and call it a nog.
- 2 ripe (or overripe) bananas
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ice cubes
- Ground nutmeg for garnish
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except nutmeg. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into cups, sprinkle nutmeg on top and serve immediately.
Makes about 3 cups.
- I find a bit of sugar helps counteract the alcohol taste of the vanilla extract, but omit if you prefer.
- Banana nog is best served fresh. Leftovers may be refrigerated for a few hours, but the drink will develop a light tan color and there may be some separation of liquid from foam. Stir well with a spoon before serving.
- Spike the drink with whiskey, rum, brandy, etc for a little extra holiday spirit.
- Overripe bananas may be stored in the refrigerator. The peel may turn dark, but the cold will stop the ripening. You may also store bananas, peeled, in the freezer and add frozen bananas directly into the blender.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.