A comforting cold weather soup. Handy to make with leftover chicken, as you’re likely to have the other ingredients on hand.
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups diced chicken breast (raw or cooked)
- 3/4-1 cup white or brown rice (3/4 cup makes a looser soup)
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4-5 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- A shake of cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in Dutch oven or other large pot. Saute onions until tender.
- Add celery, carrots and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- If using raw chicken: Add raw diced chicken. Saute until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add chicken stock and rice. Cover, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer until rice is cooked. White rice cooks faster than brown (approximately 20 minutes for white vs 40 for brown). Add 1 cup of water if the rice absorbs all the liquid.
- In separate saucepan, prepare roux. Melt butter on medium heat. Add flour and stir with a wire whisk. Let cook a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk slowly, whisking constantly to smooth out lumps. After milk is incorporated, continue cooking a few minutes, whisking occasionally, until thickened and bubbly.
- Add milk mixture to soup. Stir.
- If using cooked chicken: Add diced chicken.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and cayenne pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Can add some roasted fingerling potatoes as a garnish, or parmesan cheese toasts would be great also.
- Add water when reheating leftover soup to loosen it up.
- Venus’s creamier version: Venus sautes onions in 8 tablespoons of butter, then slowly adds 1/4 cup flour, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes. She then proceeds to add carrots, celery, rice and broth as outlined in steps 2-4 above. After rice is almost cooked, she adds 1 cup of cream and 1/2 cup of sour cream before adding cooked chicken and final seasonings.
Link back to Creamy chicken and rice soup.