One of my favorite uses for leftover chicken. Savory and sweet, crunchy and spicy – I can’t help snacking on it as I’m stirring it together.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup halved grapes
- 1 cup diced apples
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews or almonds are all fantastic)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chutney (mango or other)
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve alone, over greens or in a sandwich.
- This chicken salad is heavy on crunch, light on chicken. If you prefer a higher proportion of chicken, you can easily double the chicken or halve the other ingredients. Or add more nuts for extra protein.
- Add chopped onions, scallions or shallots if you like.
- If you don’t have chutney you can substitute a bit of lemon juice and a few extra raisins or dried cranberries.
- If you don’t have curry powder, you can use some cumin and a bit of cayenne pepper. It won’t be as colorful (unless you have turmeric to add), but it will taste good anyway.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.