Years ago I saw Jacques Pepin make this easy spread on his PBS show. It’s an ingenious way to turn those bits of leftover cheese in your refrigerator drawer into something appealingly fresh.
- 1/2 pound assorted cheese (hard, soft, cream, etc)
- 1/4 cup white wine or vermouth
- 1 garlic clove
- Black pepper
- Salt (optional)
- Chopped herbs (optional)
- In a food processor bowl, add cheese, wine, garlic and a good grinding of black pepper. Process until mixture is creamy. If you have more hard cheeses, you may need to add a splash more wine.
- Add salt or more black pepper to taste. Add fresh herbs and pulse to mix.
- Spread on bread or crackers. Place under broiler until fromage fort gets browned and bubbly, if you like.
- You can trim mold off hard and semi-soft cheeses – just cut a generous slice off. Moldy soft cheeses should be discarded.
- Fromage fort will store well in the refrigerator for a week or two.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.