Herbs, feta, garlic and popcorn – a slam dunk salty snack and a great party nosh.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil (preferably one with a high smoking point, eg corn, peanut, safflower, canola, avocado)
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt to taste (about 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, less if table salt)
- Put herbs and minced garlic in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and microwave until fragrant (around 30 seconds, depending on your microwave). Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add cooking oil and three kernels of popcorn. Cover pot. When you hear a kernel pop, add remaining popcorn and stir. Cover pot again and cook, shaking pot frequently (hold the lid as you do), until popping slows (1-2 seconds between pops; don’t wait, or you may scorch the whole batch). Turn off heat and pour popcorn into a large bowl. Add herbs and feta and stir well. Salt to taste.
Makes about 16 cups of popped corn, or about four servings.
- You can use air-popped popcorn as well; just heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil with the herbs and drizzle over the popcorn.
- For anyone going out to the movies, one batch of popcorn fits nicely into four Ziploc sandwich bags and will save you from overpriced, chemical-laden movie theater popcorn.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.