An easy, different summer salad, and a great way to use up zucchini without cooking. The humble vegetable peeler transforms common zucchini into light, delicate ribbons. Works best with small to medium zucchini.
- Zucchini (about one medium per person – shaving works better with small to medium zucchini)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon (about half a lemon for every two to three zucchini)
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- Wedge of good Parmesan cheese
- Wash zucchini and trim ends. Using vegetable peeler, shave ribbons from end to end of the zucchini. Pile into large bowl.
- Season zucchini well with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper if using. Drizzle generously with olive oil and lemon juice and toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Use vegetable peeler again to shave Parmesan over dressed zucchini. Serve.
- Rarely a zucchini plant will produce bitter fruit. If you want to be extra careful, taste the first shaving from each zucchini to make sure you didn’t get a bum one.
- Optional adds: lemon zest, chopped fresh herbs, olives, capers, chopped nuts.
- If making ahead, add only salt to shaved zucchini and set aside. Just before serving, drain excess liquid and proceed with the rest of the dressing ingredients (pepper, olive oil, lemon) and Parmesan.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.