Fried rice (using Chinese takeout leftovers)
Fried rice at home – giving new life to leftover Chinese takeout.
- Cold cooked short-grain rice
- Leftover meat, seafood and/or vegetables
- Cooking oil
- Soy sauce
- Pick out the meat and vegetables you want to use for the rice. Ideally the amount of leftovers will be 1/4 to 1/2 the volume of the rice. The more leftovers you add, the heartier the rice will be.
- Chop the meat and vegetables into small (1/2″) pieces.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a skillet large enough to hold the amount of rice you have. Oil should be sufficient to glaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add cold rice to skillet. Use large spoon to break up rice.
- Cook rice for several minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is soft and heated through.
- Add small drizzle of soy sauce (start with 1 teaspoon for small amount of rice to 1 tablespoon for large amount) and stir well to distribute. Add more to taste if needed, but be careful as a little goes a long way.
- Add chopped leftovers to rice. Stir well to incorporate.
- Serve hot.
Here’s the link back to Fried rice: Leftover Chinese takeout makeover.