Northstar Café salad
Salads don’t get better or simpler than the one at Northstar Café, a California-type place in Columbus, Ohio. I marvel at the airiness of it – baby greens and thin shavings of cabbage, tossed in a vinaigrette as light as morning dew. I’ve only managed to extract hints of the recipe, but this comes close.
- Mixed baby greens
- Head cabbage (the round kind)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (whole grain if you have it; Northstar uses Zatarain’s Creole Mustard)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other neutral salad oil)
- Wash and dry greens and place in large bowl.
- Cut cabbage in half and place cut-side down on cutting board. Slice as thinly as possible enough cabbage to equal 1/4 to 1/2 of your volume of greens. Add to bowl with greens.
- Mix salad dressing, whisking in a bowl or putting in a jar, covering tightly and shaking to emulsify.
- Slowly add dressing to salad, mixing and tasting, until greens are well dressed. Refrigerate any leftover dressing.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.