Adapted from Paula Deen’s pumpkin bar recipe. A moist cake with fall flavors. Half the fat of the original and just as good.
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and pumpkin. Mix well.
- In separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.
- Spread the batter into a greased 13″x10″ baking pan, or two 8″x8″ baking pans. Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving, or cool completely before icing.
- 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin cake.
- Also make good cupcakes (approximately 24) or a sheet cake in a 10″x15″ jelly roll pan.
- Cake takes well to being cooled in refrigerator.
- Fans of a spicier cake may want to increase the cinnamon or add nutmeg, ginger or cloves to the mix.
Here’s a link back to the post: Pumpkin applesauce cake: Paula Deen light.