Graham cracker crumbs give enough heft to keep these chocolate chip cookies soft, while mini marshmallows ramp up the excitement level for the kids. Adapted from The Pollan Family Table.
- 6 graham cracker sheets (2 crackers per sheet), or about 1 cup coarse graham crumbs
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 1.55 ounce milk chocolate bars (regular Hershey bar size), broken into small half-squares (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place graham crackers in a sealed plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or large spoon into coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Place softened butter in a mixing bowl with granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Using a fork or electric mixer, mix together until creamy. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix baking soda and salt (if using) into the flour. Add flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a spoon, stir in chocolate chips followed by graham cracker crumbs.
- Using a tablespoon measure, drop spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet about two inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until they are done but not yet browned on top (cookies will be lightly brown on the bottom). Push 2-3 marshmallows into each cookie, along with 1-2 chocolate pieces. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- The original recipe calls for a baking temperature of 375 degrees F, but I have better results (and fewer overbaked cookies) at 350 degrees F.
- Milk chocolate chips are truer to the taste of classic s’mores, but what I usually have on hand is semi-sweet. Don’t sweat it – it’s really the marshmallows that make it a s’mores cookie.
- For half-recipe: 3 graham cracker sheets, 1 stick butter, 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, 1 Hershey bar.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.