When it’s taco night, I make sure to have a generous amount of taco meat leftover just so I can have this easy and satisfying salad for days after. This would also make a great taco night option for any low-carb eaters.
- Fresh salad greens, washed and dried
- Carrot, grated
- Cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Avocado, sliced
- Taco meat
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar (Monari Federzoni is good and widely available)
- Place greens in a large mixing bowl and layer other ingredients on top.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over and toss gently. Taste a leaf – greens should have a slight sheen from the olive oil, and you should be able to taste the oil, salt and pepper. Adjust as needed. Finally, drizzle a small amount of vinegar and toss again gently. Taste and adjust again. When it’s right you’ll just want to keep eating.
- Feel free to add what you like or have on hand: sweet peppers, black beans, corn, onions, cilantro or black olives. Cooked vegetables, such as roasted asparagus or sauteed zucchini, are also good adds.
- If you don’t have avocado, grated cheese, such as a sharp cheddar, would make an excellent substitute. Or you could serve your salad with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream.
- For the dressing, feel free to substitute fresh lemon juice or wine/champagne vinegar instead of balsamic. You could also use my favorite balsamic vinaigrette if you have some in your fridge already.
Here’s a link back to the post and pictures.